Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 03:38:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@CS.Berkeley.EDU (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading texinfo

 * install-info [--delete] info-file dir-file
 *
 * either adds or with --delete removes the entries for info-file from
 * dir-file.

Ok.  Then, we can either

(1) add a post-install: target, doing the above, as well as an
    @exec/@unexec install-info line in pkg/PLIST, or

(2) add pkg/INSTALL and pkg/DEINSTALL that do the above, and call
    pkg/INSTALL from the post-install: target, or

(3) add new variables, say, "INFOFILE" and "INFODIR" (defaults to
    ${PREFIX}/info/dir), and call install-info from bsd.port.mk.

However, we haven't implemented on-the-fly PLIST generation (did
anyone try the patch I sent out a few days ago?), so with (3), we
still need to do something with pkg/* files to make pkg_add happy.

 * a lot of packages will not have the extra data yet, but its easy to add
 * and I think it would be worth doing it just to have a ports tree
 * that installs info-files correctly.  you either modify the texinfo
 * source or the info file itself, either will do.

I would think those mods should be patches to texinfo source, the info
files are generated during build.  (Of course we can do some mv/cat
magic in post-build but that seems gross....)

Satoshi