Date:      Sat, 6 May 2000 15:55:31 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports projects

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 04:44:24PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> They're also in the process of fixing ports so packages can be built as
> non-root, by making the port install into a local directory and package
> there (this is basically the same thing as PREFIX-cleanliness)

Hmm... this seems like it would be fairly simple to do for the most part.
We could set up /usr/[local,X11R6] as writable-wheel or something similar,
which will allow non-root members of the wheel group to modify/install
items in these directories.

Actually, I think I ought to try this method on my own systems.

for i in local X11R6;do chown -R root.wheel /usr/${i} && chmod 775
/usr/${i};done here i come...

Perhaps files that must be set to a particular chown setting could be
installed/modified (i.e. chown'd) after the "real-install" with a command
such as ``sudo make installroot'' or similar. We could also do something
like: say we have 2 ports being installed that require the installroot
target to work properly. We leave this as a message at the end, something
like:

"===> The ${PORTNAME} port has several dependencies which require special
      permissions for some of their files: net/somenet, x11/XFree86,
      graphics/powerstuff, and x11-toolkits/sometk.

      These ports must have (some or all of) their files' permissions fixed
      by root in order to work properly.  To perform this action type
      ``make installroot'' with root permissions.''"

.. and then the user can simply type "sudo make installroot" or something
to that effect, at which point it would first check that the ``install''
target has been fulfilled by the euid and then check the database for
dependencies with missing set[uid,gid] bits on some of their files. It can
skip over any dependencies that do not require any such permissions on any
of their files, for extra speed.

Thoughts ?

> Another item on my wishlist is for ports to respect CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS/CC/CXX
> for controlling the build. There are far too many ports which don't
> respect all of these though, so I don't think a bento warning would be
> effective.

One guy who submitted a port said his program absolutely can't respect any
of these and refused to "fix" the errors newer compilers spew at his code
because "compilers are too anal these days, don't trust the programmer".

So it may not be possible to achieve this goal, although I think it's
possible to fix these on 99.9% of the ports. What number are we up to on
this respect these days ? It should be close to 90%.

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>