Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2012 13:17:47 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Simon <simon@optinet.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.3 + MySQL 5.0.95

On Jun 13, 2012, at 12:24 PM, Simon wrote:
>>> I wish I could get some input from someone running MySQL server with 300+
>>> queries a second and what MySQL version/build they are running.
>
>> By all means-- while I'm quite familiar with busy databases, folks aren't running
>> MySQL for that kind of TPS load.
>

> Why not? it is designed precisely for this.

That depends on workload.

Table-level or page-level locking is fine for read-only or read-mostly;
it wasn't until InnoDB storage that MySQL had row-level locking, which is
kinda important when you *aren't* read-mostly.

> Like I said, whenever I used MySQL
> project community server built binaries, I never had it crash.

But the process from these "community server built binaries" went away, right?

> Right now I'm thinking:
>
> 1. the port build of 5.0.95 does something incorrectly.
> 2. it's running out of memory (FreeBSD's kernel still does not report out of memory
> errors for processes if it kills them; there is no way to know if kernel killed a process
> due to memory limit, it does not log this)
> 3. it's hitting some kind of 5.0.95 bug

The program termination ought to log something, at least if you enable logging or
have a monitor in place which can see mysqld's error status; even mysqld_safe ought to
take --log-error flag....

> Maybe I'm contacting wrong mailling list, I can't seem to get ahold of ISP/hosting guys
> on this list. Truly amazing that for a server OS, there is so little input for something like
> MySQL server. Perhaps everyone else is still using text files, does 10TPS, or runs
> linux, don't know what to make of it :\

That's likely to be a valid point; freebsd-ports would be appropriate for discussing
the build problems with mysql port.  freebsd-isp has a different population oriented
towards hosting provider issues etc that you've mentioned.

However, I can assure you that some folks here on freebsd-questions
do deal with more than 10TPS.  :-)

Regards,
--
-Chuck