Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 1997 09:40:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Gunther Hipper <gunther@informatik.uni-rostock.de>
To:        dcarmich@mcs.com
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building parallel "Beowulf-style" supercomputers with FreeBSD

> Is there any way one can build large "Beowulf-like" clusters with FreeBSD and its SMP
functionality?
> Anyone built such a beast?

Hi !

I built a system with 16 nodes (Gigabyte Motherboard, 2*P150) running FreeBSD.
Interconnection network is at the moment 4 FastEthernet Hubs, so each node is
equipped with 4 FastEthernet Ports and a "slow" Ethernet for network-booting.
MPI (based on LAM) and PVM are up and running on FreeBSD-SMP.
Especially thanks to Steve. He helped me a lot concenring my No-File-System-
Option, the PCI-Brigde and the EIDE-harddisk......

Works fine, but I need to install the latest FreeBSD-SMP code. At the moment,
I'm stuck on some FreeBSD-Snapshot and working on my Ph.D. Thesis.....

What do you want to do with the system?

Bye

Gunther