Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:44:29 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To:        Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ie>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Announcement draft for amavisd

I hope that you don't mind if I forward it to FreeBSD security list,
perhaps people will give it a try. Unfortunately I don't have time for it
now.

P.S. For those that don't know amavis - it's antivirus program for SMTP
gateways. http://www.amavis.org/

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Lars Hecking wrote:

>  Check this out before I throw it to the pack. Is anyone except Geoff
>  and myself actually running amavisd?
>
>  This will go to amavis-user, and a few selected newsgroups/mailing lists.
>

>  We are looking for beta testers for amavis-perl before the next release.
>
>  amavis-perl-11 represents the first major break in amavis development
>  since amavis-perl was branched off: it now runs as a daemon process, and
>  communicates with the MTA by means of a small client program, written
>  in C. The daemonisation was performed by Geoff Winkless, who also wrote
>  the sendmail milter interface for amavis-perl.
>
>  This version is not a drop-in replacement for scanmails or amavis-perl.
>  There are known issues (see below), and it would be ideal if the
>  people testing it don't mind hacking a line of code or two if necessary.
>  Familiarity with amavis-perl is also a big plus.
>
>  As the documentation hasn't been updated yet, this post is the only
>  available document on how to set up and configure amavisd. It is
>  probably incomplete. Nevertheless, read all of it, especially the known
>  bugs section, before proceeding!
>
>  Feedback should go to amavis-dev@amavis.org.
>
>  getting it
>  ----------
>
>  Anonymous CVS
>
>  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.amavis.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/amavis login
>
>  When prompted for a password for anonymous, simply press the Enter key.
>
>  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.amavis.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/amavis \
>    co -r amavisd amavis
>
>  If people have problems with cvs, I could be talked into producing a
>  snapshot archive.
>
>  configure and build it
>  ----------------------
>
>  See ./configure --help for available configure options. A brief description
>  of these options is in INSTALL (which is up to date, incidentally).
>
>  To allow testing under a non-privileged user id, I recommend something like
>  --with-runtime-dir=/tmp/amavis. The directory must exist before you run
>  amavis. I also recommend --disable-syslog to avoid cluttering the system
>  logs while testing.
>
>  For sendmail milter, you need --enable-milter. See README.milter, too.
>  NB: There are two client programs, one for milter (amavis-milter), and
>  one for all other configs (amavis).
>
>  For the config file to install under /etc, use --sysconfdir=/etc.
>
>  When configure is finished, inspect the configure report to see whether
>  the software was configured the way you want. After that, a simple
>  "make" should do.
>
>  DISCLAIMER:
>  Don't run the software on a production machine before you've tested it.
>  You risk loss of email, floods, mud slides, nuclear war. The Shrike may
>  appear and stick all PHB's on the Tree of Pain (you wish ...).
>
>  install it (not strictly required for testing)
>
>  amavisd and amavis (or amavis-milter) live in /usr/sbin. The daemon config
> [...]

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]