Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 1995 19:50:00 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Joshua Peck Macdonald <jmacd@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>, Dave Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>, richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HotJava

> > I must say I am not sold on Java yet.  Scheme remains my
> > favorite prototyping language.  Once you learn to exploit
> > features like creating functions (closures) on the fly and
> > functional composition, O-O languages look rather anemic and
> > under powered.
>
> #t
>
> Scheme Rules.

Dudes, it doesn't matter.

Marketing rules, not language design, and people are, for the most
part, sold on procedural languages.  You can shout things like
"scheme!" and "forth!" to the skies if you wish, but it won't be as
relevant as whatever's occupying the majority position in the market.

Who cares how wizzy the language is if there aren't any programs of
significant commercial substance written in it?  I like scheme too,
but I'm tired of running full-tilt at windmills.  If everyone is going
in a different direction then I'm hardly going to go down the
"embittered crank" route.. :-)

					Jordan