Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 22:23:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XDM question.

On Wed, 3 Nov 1999, Person, Roderick wrote:

>Sorry for this possible simplish question, I have search for days now. It
>took me 3 weeks to get xdm to start on boot ( really I wanted wdm to boot,
>but it never would), but now that it does I notice that it does not read the
>same login script as a console login does. I have check every possible file
>I can think of .login .cshrc .profile and such but I can't seems to find
>where xdm is get it's settings for PATH and SHELL and other environmentals.
>Where is it defaulted to read. I have check Xsession, Xresources, Xstartup_0
>etc but unless I'm missiung something or just not seeing it I can't find
>anything like the path setting and such. I read the man and what it
>suggested is what seems to be on my sys. TIA.

xdm is like a server. It doesn't really care what path or shell that any
of the multiple users want. It just manages the display. It sounds like
there is a slight concept error here. A user does not "run" xdm. A user
connects to xdm in order to start an x session. What the user actually
runs is a 'window manager' which puts up your user interface and is
generally the parent process for all other process in your session. I do
not know if your window manager reads or modifies PATH and SHELL.

You have said you are having trouble with PATH and SHELL. Are you having
trouble with a particular shell and it's config files? If you use bash for
example, there is a distinction between 'login' shell and 'interactive
non-login' shells. login shells use .bash_profile and non-login shells use
.bashrc.

When you run xterm, you are using a non-login shell. You must know how the
shell you desire reads its rc files to get the correct behavior.

Thank You, 	| http://students.washington.edu/jcwells/
Jason Wells