Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 15:16:11 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ghost user?

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Dima Dorfman wrote:

> hi, today, when i did a w(1), i noticed that i have a user logged on, but
> they aren't running anything.  for example:
>
> geoffrey         ph       localhost         6:38PM    26 -
>
> that is part of the w(1) output.  when i do ``ps ajfxU geoffrey'', ps
> reports that they aren't running anything.
>
> why does this happen?  and how can i log them out?  usually, to log out a
> user, i would kill their shell, but they aren't running a shell!

This sometimes happens when a line gets disconnected. The utmp entry
just hasn't been cleared out correctly. It shouldn't affect your
system at all - the line *is* free, and will be reused.

This happens on SCO machines quite a lot, and I've got a program lying
around somewhere that you can run as root that will clear out dead
entries in the utmp file. It should compile on FreeBSD with some or no
tweaks - email me if you'd like it.

Jonathan Chen