Date:      Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:50:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        Harris Pham <Harris_Pham@mw.3com.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing freeBSD ...

Hi,

> I am beginning to learn UNIX and would like to install freeBSD on my home
> PC.  I made a boot disk, but need some instructions for the next step:

Okay - then you're ready!  The boot disk will start you on your way -
you'll just need to fill in some information (your dial up to ISP if
that's what you're using, the IP address, nameserver etc).  (Please do a
backup of any important data, on both drives just to be safe.)

Once you give it all of the pertinent information, it will go ftp the
files for you and do a basic install (including putting the kernel
together for you).  You can then do post-install configuration like
installing packages etc.

For more information on what will happen, you can go to www.freebsd.org
and read the installation section in the Handbook.

Good luck and write back if you have problems w/ the installation from the
boot floppy.

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist,
 as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."
					 -   Popular Science, 1891