Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:44:21 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        dg@root.com, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel traps on boot..

Mike Smith wrote:
[..]
> > In my opinion, it's not only bad, but _irresponsible_ to let the
> > system bumble on in the face of such a bug.  High uptime is nice, but
> > if it comes at the cost of ignoring serious system errors or
> > corrupting data, it's worthless.
>
> I don't think anyone would disagree with you here.  However an unaligned
> access doesn't fit into this case, as you can handle it cleanly (while
> tagging the problem as an error) without crying wolf.

I completely agree for what it's worth.

NULL dereferencing is not the same as an unaligned access.  There is no
clear recovery process for NULL dereferences, the only sensible thing to
do is to panic before things get too bad.  The system is well and truely
off the rails by now.

However, with a kernel that was written in a 32 bit environment is is
evolving to 64 bit, it's only natural that some code will run afoul of new
restrictions.  If the only thing that is wrong is the alignment and
recovery is possible (although inconvenient), then there's no *benefit* in
panicing with dirty filesystems, etc.

If you have lots of people pounding on it, you're going to find out about
alignment problems in code that you rarely excercise.  Sure, excercising
test code and regression testing is nice, but it's a luxury we don't yet
have.  If the system panics on an unaligned accesses and there are some
scattered around, you can be sure that people won't be sticking their
necks out to play with it.

Anyway, it's not worth arguing about this.  We're bound to have them
still, but it's only a young port and not exactly production grade yet.

Cheers,
-Peter