Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 20:14:55 +0000
From:      Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-small@freebsd.org, snap-users@kame.net
Subject:   VPN tunnel with DHCP ...

Hi,

about my SOHO router project, I came accross a tough problem, may
be I overlook that there is a solution already? The VPN gateway
at the small office / home office (SOHO) has an IPsec tunnel
connecting it to its headquarter:

setkey -c  <<END
  spdadd ${sohonet} ${homenet} -P out ipsec
     esp/tunnel/${sohoip}-${homeip}/require;
  spdadd ${homenet} ${sohonet} -P in ipsec
     esp/tunnel/${homeip}-${sohoip}/require;
END

now, the problem is that the ${sohoip} is dynamically assigned
with DHCP. How can the gateway at the headquarter know that
${sohoip} address?

Options I can see are:

A DNS (provided that the SOHO endpoint has a reliable name assigned
  by the ISP ... doesn't work for intermittent/dialup lines.)

B an authenticated message from the SOHO endpoint to headquarter
  stating that the network ${sohonet} is reachable through the
  tunnel with endpoint ${sohoip}.

Is there anything like B defined in IPsec / ISAKMP or something?

regards
-Gunther

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    gschadow@regenstrief.org
Adjunct Assistent Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine