Date:      Thu, 9 Feb 2023 20:14:07 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik@gmail.com>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CFT: snmalloc as libc malloc

On 9 Feb 2023, at 19:46, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>=20
> And that is why we can't just start using submodules. They are not =
automatically used.

They are not used automatically, but if we were using them then we would =
have infrastructure in the build system for ensuring that they exist and =
checking them out if they are not. =20

I have written some (trivial) scripts to do this in a dev container =
recently for another project, the developer experience there is go to =
github, hit ., hit =E2=80=98open in code space=E2=80=99, start writing =
code in the browser. =20

I didn=E2=80=99t do something like that here because I didn't want this =
tree to contain things that I definitely couldn=E2=80=99t upstream and =
you=E2=80=99ve made it quite clear that upstreaming will require me to =
do something different.

> People have to do different things that need to be publicized and well =
documented.

As with anything involving revision control.

> And there are about a half a dozen decisions that need to be made =
about the details of their use, many of which have no clear obvious =
choice for the project. Without a good plan, clear comms and good docs =
it will be a support nightmare.=20

Something I would be happy to work on, but the message that I =
consistently get is =E2=80=98we won=E2=80=99t use submodules, we are not =
open to a plan to use submodules=E2=80=99.

> Now please stop making these passive agressive comments about =
submodules. All they do is demotivate me to work on the plans to adopt =
them. There are a lot of details, many of which need to be play tested, =
before we can even get a plan to adopt. The snarky comments are why I =
quit working on things a year ago... they don't move the ball forward =
and just piss people off...

I will very happily stop making comments about submodules if there is =
either:

 - A working group that I can participate in to propose a plan for using =
them.  Or even a willingness, if I write a plan for using submodules, =
for it to be discussed and not rejected out of hand.

 - An alternative proposal that doesn=E2=80=99t have the downsides that =
we currently have (for example, forcing everyone to duplicate the =
history of all every LLVM version that FreeBSD ships in a git clone, =
difficulty of CI testing contrib components in isolation, complex steps =
to import a new version from upstream, and so on), or worse down-sides =
than submodules (e.g. depending on additional tooling that doesn=E2=80=99t=
 integrate with other tools, impossibility of using the tooling on some =
platforms, massive clone sizes, and so on)

I am frustrated by the fact that the project has real problems that can =
be solved by submodules, does not want to use them, and does not want to =
solve them in another way either. I don=E2=80=99t particularly like =
submodules, I just like the problems that are caused by not using them =
even less.

David