Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:47:52 +0100
From:      Tom Wirschell <T.Wirschell@RoccadeFinance.nl>
To:        AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Scanning problems persist, even with Justin's SCSI driver.

The subject pretty much says it all. Here's what happened:

I was working on roughly my 65th scan when the scanner stopped. I
brought up the xconsole window which read:

kernel: (scsi0:A:0:0): parity error detected in Message-in

That was all that was visible. I couldn't scroll or anything like that.
The window had completely locked up. I suspect that at this point the
entire SCSI subsystem had stopped and the things that were still working
were doing so from system memory, requiring only a network socket. Chat
programs and such remained active, but when I closed my SSH session to
another machine the xterm didn't give me a prompt. Next enlightenment
stopped responding to the mouse events it received.

At this point I rebooted the machine.

During the booting proces I entered the configuration thingy of the SCSI
adapter and turned off parity checking. It's probably not the best idea,
particularly now we know such errors can and do happen.
As the machine booted into Linux and fsck was scanning the harddisk I
took a better look at the messages presented to me and noticed 2
messages:

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:10.0
PCI: The same IRQ used for device 00:14.0

So once up I checked /proc/interrupts and sure enough:

 11:     136696          XT-PIC  aic7xxx, es1371, nvidia

I know IRQ sharing should work regardless, but I'll move the SCSI
adapter to a different interrupt anyways, just to make sure that isn't
what's causing the problems...
I'm also gonna turn parity checking back on. It might be annoying to get
parity errors, but I suppose it's worse to not be notified of them
anymore...

If the knowledgable people on this list have any other suggestions, I'm
totally open to them.
Kindly CC any messages to tom.wirschell@cablewanadoo.nl aswell. The
above email address I can only check from work.

Tom Wirschell
--
'twas the night before christmas, 1971, and there wasn't a sound in all
the house apart from the buzzsaw, and the clanking of chains and the