Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:12:02 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP discussion moving to freebsd-smp

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0006202002000.1098-100000@thelab.hub.org> The Hermit Hacker writes:
: Which one would be harder to merge back into -current from a branch?  Your
: NEWCARD work or the SMP work?  Why not make a branch for NEWCARD and when
: the SMP work is declared stable, *you* spend the effort of merging it back
: in?

I would do that if the SMP stuff is really bad.  I think that Matt's
assuances indicate this won't be the case.

However, it isn't just NEWCARD.  It is every other project that is
going on in -current right now.  There's work on the usb stack, in the
sound system, in the config system, etc.  Should all of them run on a
branch?  No.  They shouldn't.  If the SMP folks were to have done what
was implied in the original message, I think we'd all get together and
create a branch for real work.

Having said that, I think that the SMP folks now understand the
importance of keeping the really bad breakage down to a few days and
keeping the base of the system somewhat stable.  I don't think a
branch will be necessary unless the SMP folks aren't able to do what
they say they are going to do.

Warner