Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:14:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, freeBSD-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disable write caching with softupdates?

> > Actually, performance-wise, you'd probably want to know the real geometry,
> > given all the stuff FFS does to exploit it.
>
> Since a) drives don't have 'real' geometries, and haven't for the last
> half of the last decade at least, and b) we intentionally disable most of
> these optimisations because they're founded on assumptions that stopped
> being relevant a good five years before *that*... no, you don't care
> about the drive's geometry at all.

Actually, drives do most certainly have geoemetries as well as other
things which affect performance. It's just that they aren't abstracted
enough and the filesystems aren't good enough, to take care of them.
And nobody has done that much work to see whether, on the whole, paying
attention to them makes sense.