Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 11:09:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: interesting stuff

On Sat, 16 May 1998, Duncan Barclay wrote:
> It's usually easier to do these on the parallel port (god knows how many
> phase locked loops I've programmed down that!).

Agreed.  Hacking the parallel port gets quick and dirty results.

> One "problem" with the I2C is that it is not a TTL compatible bus, so a
> bit of hardware is need to convert the logic levels.
>
> Secondly, the framing on the I2C bus doesn't lend itself well to UART
> style parity/start/stop bits.

One problem with the parallel port is that it won't be sufficient for
remote sites that want temperature monitoring hardware hanging off a
serial port.

I think any less than simple design (I can get a $99 I2C to RS-232 dongle
from a number of different places.) implies multiple I2C busses, a small
PIC or processor and other stuff.

I'm actually talking with the guys that make the HLT about doing this
project.

> I would suggest that a parallel port driver be plugged into the ppbus
> framework.  It owuld be something I would find useful at work!

Heh.  Great for hacking value but remote terminal servers only speak LPD
over their parallel ports (if they even have any).

/*
   Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for life
   winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever seems to
   http://www.jurai.net/~winter | go right - FLA M 3.1:53
*/