Date:      Wed, 1 Jun 2005 11:21:00 -0400
From:      Ean Kingston <ean@hedron.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel panic with unmount: dangling vnode on boot

Hi all,

I just updated my 5.3 system to 5.4p1 from source and ran into a
serious problem. During boot, when the filesystems are being mounted,
the system goes into a kernel panic and reports "panic unmount:
dangling vnode" it then reboots.

I have found PR 79665 which appears to be related.

I have also found that booting to single user mode and manually
mounting the filesystems will bypass this problem but it is not a good
workaround since I don't have battery backup and the power here is less
than ideal (short outages 3 or 4 times a year).

The system this is being tested on is using gvinum for a number of
filesystems: /tmp is stripped, /home is mirrored, / /var /usr are
ordinary filesystems.

The system is a dual PIII so I'm using an SMP kernel. I've stripped
unused device drivers and added a few things so I will re-try with
generic and generic+smp when I get a chance.

Once I get the system back up (after the most recent reboot) I will
build a generic kernel and see if that has the same problem.

Does anyone else have similar problems and, if so, are there any
workarounds so that I can boot cleanly. I really don't want to lose
gvinum but I will if I have to.