Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 21:38:25 -0700
From:      kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net (Kevin Eliuk)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Ghosts In The Machine

I was upgrading to 2.2.1 release from 2.1.7 release and on two occassions I
had strange failures :-?  On both occasions I was forced to shutdown and
boot /kernel.prev in order to replace my /etc dir. .

After login: root I recieved some mighty strange messages. One was about bed
time stories that nightmares are made of ( I guess that was appropriate) the
other was a paragraph about someone running out of jokes and that I may as
well go home ( I never take my pc anywhere).

I hope these are intentional as I don't know because after what I thought
was good third attempt I am not able to login :-( I have used the fixit
floppy to mv etc etc2.2.1 and replace it with my original /etc. Still no
luck loggin in with either root or my regular passwd 's.

Help if you can, if not I will do a complete re - install next week.

thanx
D                                               n
  O                                     a                       i
             n                       P
                        't