Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2013 12:30:30 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how long to keep support for gcc on x86?

On Jan 12, 2013, at 8:30 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> IMHO gcc shuld be available until all of the platforms that we
> currently ship FreeBSD on gets clang support.
>=20
> This includes MIPS (which is there, but I don't think the default MIPS
> build uses clang at the moment) and ia64, which Marcel has been
> dutifully working on.
>=20
> Please also note that people can and will compile FreeBSD on a
> non-default-system compiler ; so deprecating gcc (either support or
> framework) should be considered carefully.

When this was talked about at the clang summit, the overwhelming opinion =
expressed was "better with clang". If you can make things better with =
clang, great. However, gcc still must work.

So no. You can't break gcc build of the kernel. You can make it better =
with clang, but you must still support gcc, especially for something =
like this.

Warner