Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 20:48:10 +0200
From:      Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.frmug.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        des@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD-localised OpenSSH hangs with Foundry SSH1 server

I had problems connecting with the FreeBSD openssh client to a
Foundry BigIron gigabit switch running ssh 1.2.27, whereas I can
connect fine to the same switch when using a locally-compiled OpenSSH 3.1p1.

The culprit is apparently the length of the version string sent by
FreeBSD and received by the Foundry switch. If it is over 24
characters, the Foundry ssh daemon just sits there and hangs for a
few minutes until it timeouts and closes the connection.

If I shorten the client version string to be "OpenSSH_3.1 FreeBSD",
everything works ok again.

The closest thing to a standard description of the SSH1 protocol I
could find is below. It clearly sets a upper limit of 40 characters
for the "version" part of the identification string.  This is lower
than the 42 chars of "OpenSSH_3.1 FreeBSD localisations 20020318",
but higher than the maximum of 24 character accepted by the Foundry
implementation. So it looks like neither side is strictly compliant
to something that's not really a standard anyway.

It would be easier on me (and other Foundry switch users) and in
the interest of interoperability with broken ssh implementations
if the FreeBSD-specific string could be shortened (to at most 11
chars, which is exactly enough to put "des20020307" in there for
example ;-), made user-configurable, or altogether removed.

http://www.snailbook.com/docs/protocol-1.5.txt

Protocol Version Identification

   After the socket is opened, the server sends an identification
   string, which is of the form "SSH-<protocolmajor>.<protocolminor>-
   <version>\n", where <protocolmajor> and <protocolminor> are integers
   and specify the protocol version number (not software distribution
   version).  <version> is server side software version string (max 40
   characters); it is not interpreted by the remote side but may be use-
   ful for debugging.

Pierre