Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 09:55:18 +0200
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        Frank Bonnet <bonnetf@bart.esiee.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Netserver LC II anyone ?

Hello,

SMP with FreeBSD runs very well (not as good as could be, due to the present
design, but this is changing).

One difficult point with many SMP motherboards  is that you need two "compatible"
processors to get SMP running. This usually means you have to buy your processors
from the same fabrication batch.

We have here investigated swapping Pentium-II-266 processors with a colleague
to build an SMP machine from two UP machines, but we have not tried as the two
processors have two different steppings.

In summary : beware of getting a second processor (it may be easier to buy two
new celerons and run them on "Slotkets")

     TfH

Frank Bonnet <bonnetf@bart.esiee.fr> on 07/06/2000 11:24:40