Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:53:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        danj@3skel.com, fpawlak@execpc.com, jmb@FreeBSD.ORG, toor@dyson.iquest.net, brett@lariat.org, mike@smith.net.au, dshanes@personalogic.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re[2]: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:
> > We should conduct a census! Put it on the website, in the FTP
> banners on
> > wcarchive,
> > in the CDROMs.
>
> I show 25,000 users currently registered with us.
>
> 					Jordan

No question that this is the tip of the iceberg.  The trick is to define
the size of the iceberg.  However, that may not be an issue in this case
if the objective is to gain exposure in professional circles and expand
the user base.  The facts are that we do have installations that handle
heavy traffic loads very well, and the FreeBSD is a pedigree UNIX
operating System that is stable.  That stability and power results
directly from the FreeBSD development model.  The installed based is a
picture of where the product is and is a launch pad for the strategic
objectives of increased exposure and user expansion.

Follows are some personal opinions regarding a highly charged
atmosphere, not inventations to flames.  Please take them as they are
intended.  I have a love of the BSD UNIX platform and word hate to
witness its demise.  I am not a developer, but have experience in sales
and launching consulting practice areas.  Neither of these make me a
marketing expert, but I do have some knowledge of how the game is
played.

Firstly.  I have read with great interest the situation regarding
Netscape and the ORA conference.  There appears to be an issue here with
the GPL and BSD license process.  These are issues that I don't pretend
to fully understand, and have the feeling that religious issues are
inter mingled with the facts.  If the facts when viewed from a business
point of view clearly indicate the GPL to be detrimental to the future
of Netscape and free software in general, then it behooves someone from
the FreeBSD group knowledgeable in the specifics and with a cool head to
make the business case to Netscape.  The question in my mind given the
religious issues involved, is by not going with the GPL will that
alienate a large part of the free software hacker community.  A clear
reflection by those knowledgeable in the issues can make that clear.
Netscape will only be interested in the business issues and where the
are going to get maximum developer support.  Erik Raymond's paper,
regardless if the perception is accurate or not, makes a compelling case
for the Linux development model.  Even though there are various distros
of Linux, at present binary compatibility is largely not an issue.

Secondly.  A free software product stands zero chance of entering the
corporate world at the top.  No IS director or CIO will put their career
on the line to save a relatively small part of the IS budget.  They will
demand someone be behind then to take the bullet when the wheels fall
off as they inevitably will.

I sold IBM PCs in the early days before they became ubiquitous.  They
did not enter the business world through the IS window.  They were
brought in the back door via fudge factored copier budgets and the like.
 IS directors and CIOs detested the things for any number of reasons.

Free software is going to enter via the same route, through the geeks.
There is a new generation filling the ranks of the corporate IS world,
that has been raised with the PC as a standard computing fixture.  This
represents a paradigm shift in the computing world.  Based on this the
window of opportunity is opening for the introduction of free software
into the mainstream.  But the fact remains that business critical
applications will remain on commercial platforms for at least the near
future.

It is my understanding that Linux is being used for relatively low end
server applications -- print servers etc., -- and web servers in limited
cases.  There may be cases of it being uses as a development platforms,
as several vendors of development tools are porting to Linux.

Thirdly.  The developing nations are a vast untaped market for cheap
technology.  To my thinking this is a tremdous opportunity for free
software.  It would enable these nations to get the technology they need
and realize a very high return on investment.  BTW, in any theater ROI
is a key concern in implementing technology.

Fourth. UNIX has a well known history of binary incompatibility.  This
is the window that Microsoft is rushing through.  This and Novell's
massive screw up when they had USL -- yes I dislike SysV stuff too --
further opened the flood gates for M$ is position a bad OS as the answer
to corporate concerns for comaptability across operating platforms.  In
contrast, Linux is not yet suffering from this although there are signs
of germination among their ranks.  To wit, VAResearch and SuSE patch
Linux kernels to fix the broken ones released by the Linis.

So what to do?

1)  A marketing and business plan needs to be developed, objectives and
target markets clearly documented.  FreeBSD strengths clearly delineated
and presented in a professional manner.  Leverage existing resources,
tech support by the developers and others on the mailing lists and the
web site.  these are already much better than M$ offers.  Clearly as the
user base expand these resources will require enhancements.  But in the
interim leverage existing resources to the best advantage.  The issuance
of regular press releases would gain exposure in the press.

2)  It has been suggested in other posts that perhaps a name change is
in order for the product to be taken seriously in the business world.  I
sympathize with that point of view.

3)  Credibility is everything in the business arena.  That means quality
highly available technical support.  Binary compatibility across
platforms and splintering among the various BSD releases could be
problematic.  Vendor stability and staying power are key issues.

4) Take FreeBSD commercial.  Fatten the margins enough to make possible
utilization of a professional PR, tech support and marketing staff.
That will no doubt involve problems with BSDI.  I am uncertain how well
they are doing, but it appears to be quite well.  They are lots os third
party application released on their platform  Caldera is following that
model in the Linux world.  They are starting to alienate some in the
Linux hacker community.

5) A concerted initiative should be made in the Universities both
domestic and foreign.  Most Universities teach UNIX as part of Computer
Engineering and Computer Science disciplines.  Budgets at Domestic
universities are stretched and departments are required to do more with
less.  Universities in developing dace a similar set of circumstances.
This represents an opportunity for low cost Operating Systems to replace
more costly commercial versions.

6)  Initiatives in college bookstores to gain converts among the
aspiring developers and computer engineers would produce a grass roots
effort to get FreeBSD into the corporate environment.  There is no
question that converts will carry their favorite tools to the job site
after graduation.

I could go on with this, but may have over stayed my welcome as it lies.
 This is enough to encourage dialog leading to a plan of action.  If
that happens then I've accomplished my mission.

One last thing.  I am not a developer nor technical writer, but would be
willing to volunteer in any position where I may add value to the
effort.

Frank