Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 15:57:55 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de (Oliver Fromme)
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CD audio: jitter correction?

Petri Helenius writes:
 > Oliver Fromme writes:
 >  > [...]
 >  > Now my question is:  How important is jitter correction?
 >  > Do only older drives need it?  Or am I just lucky that my
 >  > drives work without?
 >  >
 > You are lucky. However the CDD-utility has since been fixed to work
 > properly with toshiba drives also with freebsd-2.2.X and includes
 > jittercontrol so I don't see a need for that any longer.

Are you sure that you aren't just unlucky?  So far, I have
received reports from quite a lot of people that it works fine
without "jitter", but only one report from a person who had a
problem with that (using a pretty old drive, AFAIR).

By the way, "tosha" supports a lot more drives than just
Toshiba.  In fact I believe that all major vendors of SCSI
CD-ROM drives and CD writers are supported.

Best regards
   Oliver Fromme

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany