Date:      Wed, 16 May 2012 09:51:15 -0500
From:      Jamie <jamie@geniegate.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Downtime! Downtime! Downtime! I want FreeBSD! :-)

Hello FreeBSD-Chat,

I've got a dedicated freebsd box in the US, the thing is rock solid,
in 4 years time, I think it's been down maybe 3 times and in all those
cases, it was a bone-head mistake on my part... I like FreeBSD.. a lot.

Anyway, my FreeBSD box is located in the US and doesn't offer the
bandwidth I need... so I went to the dark side and tried out a couple
Linux VPS type of deals.

Here are the applications I need to run (reliably):

. icecast
. shoutcast
. nginx

I need this to be outside the US, preferably Europe or Canada,
doesn't matter. (it's SOCAN licensed, and I just don't trust the
US politicians not to bow down to lobbyists)

I'll eventually need around 4TB/month of bandwidth if I'm *really*
lucky... but probably not for some time (if ever)

With Linux VPS's (I tried both KVM and OpenVZ)

I tried chvps.com and edis.at

Here's what happened:

Network errors! every hour or more! it happened with only 6 or so
stream connections, (INCLUDING the incoming ones)

Obviously, no one is going to become a regular listener if they
get booted off for 4 minutes every hour... this sucks!

Does anyone know of a place that'll rent out FreeBSD jails, with
2 IP numbers? (and by that, I don't mean FreeBSD running in a linux
virtualization compartment.. I mean, freebsd running on bare hardware)

Jamie
--
http://www.geniegate.com                    Custom web programming
Perl * Java * UNIX                        User Management Solutions