Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:19:14 -0800
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
Cc:        Steve Ames <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>, Anders Hagman <anders.hagman@netplex.se>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Nat through two DSL

Nick Rogness wrote:

> 	Load sharing is not possible on a per packet basis when running
> 	NAT on the outside interfaces.  The source address for each packet
> 	will be different.

What prevents you from picking one source address for packets going out
both interfaces? Your return packets won't be striped then of course.
(Which could make this scheme ineffective, assuming "client" machines
receive much more than they send.)

(Aside: Whether or not NAT is present is orthogonal to striping, just
assume the NAT box is the source/sink for all traffic.)

> 	On a per session basis, you may be able to work with ipfw fwd
> 	(which does policy based forwarding) and the ipfw probability work
> 	done by Luigi. man ipfw for more info.

I didn't know about that, thanks for the pointer! I use ipfw strictly as
a firewall :-)

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute