Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 1996 15:04:12 -0500
From:      Charles Green <chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX Specification

Chuck Robey stands accused of saying:
} Date: Mar  2,  0:32
} On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Charles Green wrote:
}
} >         How close to the "SINGLE UNIX SPECIFICATION" is FreeBSD?
}
} I'm tempted to laugh here.  You may not know it, but lack of a SINGLE
} UNIX SPECIFICATION is probably the single most talked about subject of
} the last 10 years for the Unix community.  Since there is no such thing,
} well, FreeBSD is (I suppose) as close as my digital wristwatch.

	Laugh if you wish but with the merger of X/Open and OSF I've
found that this is becoming more of an issue. Besides, I'd like to see
FreeBSD branded as an official "UNIX".

} This is very philosophical, be real careful in drawing too much from it.
} FreeBSD does (in my own opinion) care somewhat more about standards, and
} definitely has a lot of very good points, including pretty solid
} networking code, and relatively fewer fanatics on the mailing lists here
} than Linux seems to have.

	I'm aware of this but what I'm not aware of is *exactly* how close
it is...

}-- End of excerpt from Chuck Robey

--
Charles Green, PRC Inc.			             UN*X System Administration
22 Powell Ave. Apt. B 		   	                  UN*X Security   &