Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:24:11 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Comments on this patch?

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On 2000-Jan-28 10:02:06 +1100, Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:
> >In message <20000127144543.C81615@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
> >: > BTW, I'm getting numbers that are 2x bigger than before :-(.    I had
> >: > makebuildworld down to around 1:20 at one point, but now it is 2:40.
> >So I'd say this is with 2.7.3 and the compiler in today's current.
> >There's so much that has changed in the last 2.5 years so this is more
> >like grousing rather than pointing to a problem.
>
> FreeBSD itself is significantly larger - at a guess, I'd say that
> 4.0-CURRENT is about 50% larger than 2.x.  I suspect (though I

That seems about right.

> haven't done any direct comparisons) that today's egcs is slower
> than 2.7.3.  Also, following Marcel's work, buildworld is now far

gcc-2.95 is significantly slower than egcs (10%?).  egcs was slightly
slower than gcc-2.7.x.

> more careful about ensuring that tools it wants to use are built
> correctly for the environment they are going to be used in - which
> means that far more of the system is built multiple times during
> a buildworld.

Marcel's changes actually result in many few tools being built (most
of the old "tools" are too hard to build in the host environment),
and less rebuilding of tools.  Nevertheless, the standard makeworld
has slowed down about 20-25% since last August.  I attribute the
slowdown to:

10%: gcc
10%: building dependencies in makeworld
2-3%: other lost optimizations in makeworld (-DNOSHARED)
+epsilon: new programs and libraries
-epsilon: new optimizations in buildworld (fewer tools and libraries)

Bruce