Date:      Mon, 6 Feb 2012 14:32:42 +0000
From:      Merlin Corey <merlin@merlinsbox.net>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 9.0 ath driver injection with aireplay_ng returns input/output error in AHDemo and Monitor mode

Hello,

Like some a year before me, from a thread two years before me (
http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=10042 ), I am interested in
making my (pun intended) penultimate pen-testing netbook on my
favorite operating system, FreeBSD; alas, I am not able to make use of
the atheros card in said netbook for the purposes of injection.

It is perhaps worth nothing that I started this project on FreeBSD
8.x, but my card (AR9285 card=0x10891a3b chip=0x002b168c rev=0x01 hdr=
0x00) was only working at what seemed half power and would constantly
take itself up/down.  I have since updated the system to 9.0-RELEASE
and experienced what appeared to be fully functioning wireless until
now.

In the thread linked above, there is a mention of a kernel patch which
allows writing in monitor mode - I desperately applied this patch
after finding that the instructions to patch aircrack itself seem to
have already been applied either in ports or upstream.

Now, I can run airodump just fine, but when I try to do injection test
with aireplay in either ahdemo or monitor mode, I simply end up with a
bunch of "wi_write(): Input/output error" messages.

I am not really sure how to proceed in further debugging this issue;
should I turn wlandebug on, and if so, which bit is best, or should I
just throw them all?  Perhaps something else entirely?

Is this maybe a problem with my card itself?

Any push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Merlin