Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 13:03:36 +1000
From:      Christopher Vance <vance@nu.org>
To:        ipfilter@cairo.anu.edu.au, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD ipfw vs. ipfilter

ipfw is part of FreeBSD by default.

ipf[ilter] is available for FreeBSD and a number of other OSs.

I use FreeBSD at home, have used it at work, but also co-administer a
Solaris 2.7 SPARC on a different continent.

Both machines need to be isolated to some extent from their ISP,
because I don't trust them (or their ISPs) to know what they're doing.

Currently I'm using ipf (for the last six months?) on FreeBSD because
I wanted to check it out before installing it on the Solaris machine,
since I have no console access to recover from any medium-to-big
blunder.  Previously I used ipfw for over a year.

I wonder if either list could give me some objective recommendations
for the future.  (I trust that invective has no place here...)

--
Christopher Vance