Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 1997 02:06:55 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        amor@geop.ubc.ca (John Amor)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP6020i CDR fails on fixation

As John Amor wrote:

> I have burned a successfull CD!  I moved the CDR down in the box to give
> it more cooling it was right under an IDE cdrom. I guess the added air
> flow may have made the difference??

Glad to hear.  Btw., my today's commit should also cleanup the hassles
in the wormclose() code some people used to have.

> Is the burning of the fixation as time dependent? Last time I ran the
> commands by hand, this time I used the script.

All the ioctl's are not time-critical.  Time-critical actions are
deferred until they actually could be done, and are in tight sequence.
The only time-critical operation apart from the successive calls to
write(2) itself is to send a SYNCHRONIZE CACHE in time once the write
data stream is supposed to be finished.  Therefore, this is done from
inside wormclose(), so you only need to care to close the device in
time after doing all the writes.  I figured this was a simple and
natural condition.

You could also burn multiple tracks before fixating.  The fixation
only recalculates and writes the new TOC for this session.  If you
spcifiy the <onp> flag (``open next program area''), you can write
further sessions later, although that's of little use by now.

--
cheers, J"org