Date:      Sun, 27 Mar 2011 22:22:22 -0700
From:      Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com>
To:        Super Bisquit <superbisquit@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   Re: New Boot-Loader

On Mar 27, 2011, at 9:53 PM, Super Bisquit wrote:

> And what if I need to boot into single user mode?

I'll forgive the top-post, and I'll even forgive that you missed the =
below "NOTE: The final release will have a single-user mode option."

Here it is with single-user mode option: twitpic.com/4e6gu1
--
Devin

>=20
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 12:48 AM, Devin Teske <dteske@vicor.com> =
wrote:
> Hi fellow hackers,
>=20
> I'm designing an open-sourced replacement boot-loader for FreeBSD. I =
feel that the existing options in the boot-loader menu today can be =
whittled down significantly with a stateful menu system rather than a =
single-action item menu system.
>=20
> In designing the new menu, I'd like to get your opinions. =46rom old:
>=20
>        FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE: twitpic.com/4e485w
>=20
> to new:
>=20
>        Replacement Boot-Loader: twitpic.com/4e46ol
>=20
> NOTE: The final release will have a single-user mode option.
>=20
> The new menu allows for more flexibility as selecting options 2 ("Boot =
Verbose") or 3 ("ACPI Support") independently toggles the status, =
updates the menu item, and redisplays the menu -- ever-waiting until the =
user ultimately presses ENTER, "1", or escapes to the prompt and types =
"boot". Thus, one could potentially launch single-user mode with =
verbosity on and ACPI disabled (if one so desired).
>=20
> In addition, I really tried to capture the essence of the new logo =
(spent months off-and-on using different conversion programs with =
different inputs). In the end, I found text-image.com produced the best =
result. I used the official freebsd.org/logo.html Standard Logo (black =
and white), cropped (to 122x123) and converted to jpeg with white =
background. I used an "Image Width" of 45 in their "Convert into ASCII" =
program available here: text-image.com/convert/ascii.html
>=20
> I would be distributing this as an installable package (perhaps in the =
ports tree if it gains popularity).