Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 15:10:36 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        gjennejohn@frt.dec.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Acrobat Reader for FreeBSD

garyj@frt.dec.com:
 |grog@lemis.de writes:
 |> Jerry Dunham writes:
 |> > What version of Acrobat Reader works with FreeBSD and where might I go to
 |>
 |> I've never used an Acrobat reader.  Instead, I use the program pdftops
 |> to convert it to PostScript, which it does reasonably well.  Now if I
 |> could only remember where I got the program.
 |
 |Can pdftops handle encrypted pdf files ? That's the functionality I
 |miss the most in xpdf.

pdftops is part of xpdf ("grep pdftops /var/db/pkg/*/*").

In my experience, neither it nor GhostScript handle encrypted PDFs.  For
that you have to resort to the Acrobat Reader -- Adobe's plan, of course.

As a side note, if you use GhostScript to convert AcroRead-generated
postscript to your printer's native format for printing, on FreeBSD I've
only had success with a "recent" version of the Aladdin GhostScript 4.03
package on ftp.freebsd.org.  I say recent, because a previous Aladdin 4.03
package I downloaded from there a few months ago didn't handle the
PostScript AcroRead generates.  Ditto for the other two GhostScript
packages on the FTP site as of a week ago.

Randall Hopper