Date:      Fri, 26 May 2006 15:16:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Gaspar Chilingarov <nm@web.am>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ataidle and -current ?

On Fri, 26 May 2006, Julian Elischer wrote:
> the interface to control the deveices has changed. Theoretically you
> could make a much simpler ataidle program now but no-one has done it..

I wrote ftp://ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/atautil.tar to manipulate ATA
"APM" settings.  APM is drive managed power configuration.

I call a simple shell script via apmd to enabling idling when the laptop
is on battery.

'atautil' also supports reading the drive tempreature from IBM/Hitachi
Travelstars.