Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2006 05:51:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Danial Thom <danial_thom@yahoo.com>
To:        Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com>, "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Are hardware vendors starting to bail on FreeBSD ... ?

--- Francisco Reyes <lists@stringsutils.com>
wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > the problem is that none of the Tier 1
> hardware manufacturer's support
> > FreeBSD, and a growing number of places (ie.
> Adaptec / Intel) appear to be
> > dropping support for it as well ...
>
> But companies like 3Ware and Areca are
> supporting it and from what I see on
> the lists, people are voting with their money
> in their favor.

Mainly because they had drivers that required
little modification from previous versions. Intel
has a few other things on their plate, releasing
more processors to bail out Freebsd's paltry
performance, so give them a break.

How long are vendors supposed to wait for the
FreeBSD developers to deliver the performance
they've claimed that they can deliver? I know
several network appliance vendors all stuck on
FreeBSD 4, because 5 and 6 are a step backwards
performance-wise. Now they're saying 7 will be
the one.

FreeBSD is the OS that cried "WOLF", and the
vendors are starting to ignore the calls. The
infrastructure is so poor (in terms of process
switching times and scheduler efficiencies), and
they seem clueless on how to fix it.

DT