Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 22:52:07 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.4-RELEASE, multiple sound cards, SMP.. hunh?

I recently upgraded to 4.4-RELEAES on my home SMP box (I previously tested
the RCs on just about everything else).  I ran into the following issue:
I add "device pcm" to my kernel config, reboot, and my system locks right
after it probes the second soundcard.  This is the same kernel config I have
been using for 2 years, and was imported from 4.3-SECURITY.  My specific
config is:
  Dual-Proc P2-450
  512MB ECC RAM,
  SB-Live Gold (PCI)
  OPTi931 at port 0x534-0x537,0x380-0x38b,0x220-0x22f,0xe0c-0xe0f irq 5 drq 0,1 on isa0

A friend also has a dual-proc, dual soundcard machine (one ISA, one PCI)
and it runs fine (running RC3 IIRC).  Any suggestions?

(As a note, I just locked it running a GENERIC kernel with the only mod
being to add 'device pcm' to the very end of the kernel-config)

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Lab Director                              | Rm: 308 Lally Hall