Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 03:41:00 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Moritz Hardt <mhardt@morix.de>
Cc:        Andreas Alderud <aaldv97@student.vxu.se>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, "security@FreeBSD.ORG" <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installer

On Tue 2000-10-31 (19:04), Moritz Hardt wrote:
> Yes it's my serious wish that FreeBSD doesn't follow the trend of most (linux-)
> distributors and makes a GUI-Installation-Menu with a minimal installation of 500mb.
> I agree, that sendmail shouldn't be installed by default. A minimalistic design
> improves the security and makes the system easier to administrate.

I don't really want to get into this, but maybe we'll be lucky this
time.  Where do we find a good mail delivery/transfer agent so that our
daily logs don't disappear off the edge?  While I personally don't use
sendmail, I think it makes sense to have it there to, well, send mail,
by default.  And it's not so bloated that we really begrudge it the
space.  The suid-bit, maybe, but not the space.

Not having a mail agent is usually the exception, not the rule.  Perhaps
we can put a note somewhere to remove the suid bit off sendmail if you
install something else.  We play nicely with other mailers now with
mailwrapper, so noone can really complain unless they come up with all
the code to make it optional only if another mail agent is installed or
a specific override is made.

(this would be pretty easy with virtual packages, which you'd have to
implement, which each MTA would provide.  dummy-mta would also provide
it,  but it would be lying, and your mail would go to /dev/null.  At
most 8 hours of coding to put support in bsd.port.mk and pkg_install.
I only charge $100/hour *hide*.  Of course, since this is all base
system stuff, you'd then have to package-ize large bits of the base
system.  You don't want to be fascist about exact versioning of the
base, so you'd have to implement relative versioning.  The libh project
is going to facilitate all of this, and needs coders and documentors.
Details on the projects page on the web site, mailing list listed in the
handbook.  We need help.  Thank you.)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner