Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 1995 10:02:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: larry: you might want to add this to lmbench (but i'm not sure)

Ron G. Minnich writes:

> this program does a very simple thing:
> 1) open a file
> 2) call write with an invalid address, viz:
> 		write(fd, x, 5);
> 	where x is (void *) 0x40000000
>
> it does this as many times as you ask. What it's measuring is correlated
> to the raw performance of the system's ability to look up a vm region or
> segment or object given a virtual address. It is not a pure measure,
> since systems that do a lot of work before checking the arguments
> (freebsd) will fare worse than systems that just check the arguments up
> front for validity (linux). On the other hand, all the system calls that
> happen a lot have to do this operation, so you probably want this type of
> thing to be fast.

Forgive me if I'm not critical :-)  I just tried it out on two
486DX/2-66s, one running BSD/386 1.1 and the other running FreeBSD
951004 SNAP.  I think the numbers (for 100000 iterations) speak for
themselves.

BSD/386:	10.19 real         0.33 user         9.61 sys
FreeBSD:	54.25 real         0.82 user        52.67 sys

People may argue that this is a silly benchmark, but I still think we
should be interested to know why FreeBSD takes over 5 times as long to
run this program.

Greg