Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:26:35 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        pius@ienet.com
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-hardware@freeBSD.org, terryl@ienet.com, robert@ienet.com
Subject:   Re: wdunwedge failed

> > > The console flashes on and off and logging in at the console or via telnet
> > > doesn't work anymore.
> >
> > This is strange; what do you mean by "flashes on and off"?
>
> It flickers. For example, a screen full of these "wdunwedge failed" error
> messages appears for a second or two and then the screen completely blanks
> out for a second. Then the error messages are visible again briefly, then
> the screen goes blank, and so no. Sort of like someone quickly turning the
> monitor on and off.
>
> I wonder if this could be caused by the OS not being able to write to the
> drive or if this might be a problem with the motherboard.

It's possibly (as Brett suggested) that some delays in the wd code are
magically synchronising with something in the display driver, but I'd
actually be putting my money on something wrong either with the monitor
or the system.  A screenful of bright text may be more than the power
supply in the monitor can handle (if it's old), or there may be
something power-related that's afflicting both the drive and the video
card.

> Yes, overheating seems to at least trigger this problem, but the drive
> may be dying as well. This morning with the AC back on, the machine came up
> fine again. Both times that it died was in the evening when the AC in the
> room had been turned off.

Sounds like a clue to me.

mike