Date:      Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:48:40 -0600
From:      Bruce Albrecht <Bruce.Albrecht@seag.fingerhut.com>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   P5 vs. P6 performance

I'm looking at buying either a dual CPU Pentium motherboard and
initially populating it with a single Pentium-200 MHz, and then adding the
second Pentium-200 MHz a few months later, OR buying a single Pentium-Pro 200
MHz motherboard.  What can I expect for relative performance for each
system, assuming that each one has, for example 64 MB memory?  If this
is an overpowered home system with only occasional periods of
sustained computation, would I need more that 64 MB?

For example, on a lightly loaded system, how much faster is the
Pentium Pro?  Which system (dual P5 vs. 1 P6) would be faster at
compiling all of FreeBSD from scratch?

Thanks.