Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:59:10 -0400
From:      Shannon <shannon@widomaker.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 12:37:35AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:

> The thing that pisses me off most about the use of pid
> files is that on any border device, you are generally
> going to run at least two DNS servers (interior, exterior),
> and will probably run two SMTP servers, and even two HTTP
> servers and two inetd's.
>
> Putting everything in /var/run under the name of the
> program gets to be dirt stupid real fast...

As currently done, sure. But I don't see any huge obstacles in the
way of extending the rc.d scripts to handle multiple invocations of
a daemon, and keep track of them. Something similar to how multiple
interfaces are configured would work, and a simple extension of
${DAEMIN}.pid would suffice for tracking them.  If that gets too
messy for you, then you probably have a custom setup anyway, and
will be rolling your own.

--
______________________/ armchairrocketscientistgraffitiexenstentialist