Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2012 15:14:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Chris H" <chris#@1command.com>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does / Is anyone maintaining CVS for FreeBSD?

Greetings Alfred, and thank you for the response.
> On 12/31/12 12:40 PM, Chris H wrote:
>> | I'm sorry, but the exporter scripts were always a stopgap.
>> That's what I was afraid I would hear. Recently, I was informed by SF.NET,
>> that my account would be upgraded, and all the projects I have, which all
>> use CVS, would be "upgraded" to SVN (which renders them useless). When I
>> asked why, they told me because CVS was so old. To which I stated:
>> Indeed, CVS is _quite_ old, and so is TCP/IP. Yet no one can seem live
>> without it.
>> Sigh...
>> IM(NS)HO; SVN is an inferior RCS created so Windows users wouldn't feel
>> left out.
>> Are there _any_ CVS servers/trunks/tree's left? If so, how _current_ are
>> they?
>>
>> Thanks again for taking the time to reply, Chris.
>>
>> All the best.
>>
> You still really haven't come forward with a concrete reason besides "my
> workflow" and "my scripts".
>
> Svn is a *near* drop in replacement for CVS.
>
> If instead of complaining and taking up bandwidth on the lists about old
> tech, you instead asked about how to move your archaic setup forward
> then someone would likely step forward and lend you a hand.

I /believe/ I covered this in response to an earlier reply. So I'll try
to respond, by quoting it here:
> What did you find easier to accomplish with CVS than with SVN?
I'm going to resist the temptation to respond to this, out of respect
to you, and the list -- lest it turn into a "flame fest" || "bikeshed".
I understand that in the core development teams opinion, that the
project became too unwieldy to continue maintaining it under CVS. That's
their opinion, it's really their project, and I must respect _their_
opinion. That doesn't mean I like it -- or even agree. But, as I am the
recipient of the fruits of their labor, who am I to disagree. But,
none-the-less, opinions are like ass...ahem... backsides; everyone has
one. :)
There are arguments on both sides; some (perhaps you) feel SVN has/
provides more options, others (maybe myself) feel the same can be
accomplished with CVS, and that migration only causes more initial
(and unnecessary) overhead. I'll leave it at that. :)

> The project's goal is to support a large user base and the developers in
> a manner that works with our resources.  Supporting CVS (a 2nd gen VCS)
> while we have been on a 3rd gen (svn) and are finally looking into a 4th
> gen (git) is just unfair.

I won't contend, nor do I believe that you have not put adequate
research/investigation into all of this. And I can see that given it's
continued growth has prompted much -- if not all of these changes. I would
only argue at this point, that making changes mid-stream makes it difficult
for all concerned. I guess when it gets down to it, I just wish that all
these "changes" could have been evaluated to a point that would require one
one -- if any. Make no mistake, I am keenly aware that much has been done to
help minimize the impact -- and I _greatly_ appreciate it, and _all_ of the
work you all put into it. I guess I, like all humans, are resistant to
change (unless it's one they choose). But I have a tremendous amount of
"tweaked" ports && src I've been accumulating/maintaining over the years,
and _any_ change will come at great cost.
Sorry, maybe I'm just whining, but there it is. :/

> If you took a few minutes you'd fine the svn command set intuitive and a
> simple switch over from CVS.

I'll take your advice. I must admit, it's been awhile, since I've had the
need. I probably should look again.

Thank you for the advice, and taking the time to respond.

--Chris

P.S. Happy New Year! :)