Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:53:23 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Samuel_Mart=EDn_Moro?= <faust64@gmail.com>
To:        Hubert Tournier <hubert@frbsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VirtualBox: out of swap space

Samuel Mart=EDn Moro
{EPITECH.} tek4
CamTrace S.A.S
  (+033) 1 41 38 37 60
  1 All=E9e de la Venelle
  92150 Suresnes
  FRANCE

"Nobody wants to say how this works.
  Maybe nobody knows ..."
                      Xorg.conf(5)

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Hubert Tournier <hubert@frbsd.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> Samuel Mart=EDn Moro wrote:
> > Sometimes, when I start a VM, all other running VM stop
>
> Never had that. Though, when I can only launch one VM, it usually means
> that
> there's a discrepency between my running FreeBSD kernel, FreeBSD userland=
,
> VirtualBox kmod and/or VirtualBox. Syncing all of that usually solves the
> issue.
>

> Samuel Mart=EDn Moro wrote:
> >
> > I see a few 'pid xxxx (VirtualBox), uid 0, was killed: out of swap spac=
e'
> > I've got 8Gb of RAM, and so assumed I wouldn't need any swap.
> >

> Just compute the free memory space after booting, without VirtualBox load=
ed
> (you can see that with top or the following snippet):
>
> PAGES_FREE=3D`sysctl -n vm.stats.vm.v_free_count`

1990724

> PAGES_INACTIVE=3D`sysctl -n vm.stats.vm.v_inactive_count`

3176

> PAGES_CACHE=3D`sysctl -n vm.stats.vm.v_cache_count`

50

> PAGES_LIBRES=3D`expr ${PAGES_FREE} + ${PAGES_INACTIVE} + ${PAGES_CACHE}`

1993950

> TAILLE_PAGES=3D`sysctl -n vm.stats.vm.v_page_size`

4096

> MEMOIRE_LIBRE=3D`expr ${PAGES_LIBRES} \* ${TAILLE_PAGES} / 1048576`

7788

> echo "${MEMOIRE_LIBRE}M free memory"

ok...

Then subtract, for each VM, the RAM requested plus 100 MB, and 60 MB for th=
> two VirtualBox processes (rough values for headless VM).

indeed, the fourth one don't fit...

> If you are already negative (without doing anything else), then you will
> either need to add swap (if you don't mind low performances) or reduce th=
> number of running VM or their memory requirements.
>

> Samuel Mart=EDn Moro wrote:
> > Have I to reinstall my server to add some swap? (and if so, how much?!)
> >

> No, you just need to add a swap device somewhere. See
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/adding-swap-space.html in the
> handbook.

indeed...
I'm giving it a try: 24G file, let's see...
I presume it's not that far from actual swap performances

> Samuel Mart=EDn Moro wrote:
> > Second problem: When I'm creating a disk (in VirtualBox) [...] these
> > guests display some gvfs errors, about not finding ad0.
>
> If they don't find ad0, are you sure you declared an IDE controller(s) an=
> disk(s) in your guest VMs? (IDE=3Dad0 through ad3, SATA=3Dad4 and above).

yep, the disk is here, the system is installed on it.
that's just, when i create an other VM disk (got a script preparing the VM,
creating and attaching discs, install ISO, and so...), and while I've
already
launched some stuff implying disk access, I sometimes (for each disc I
create...)
see other VMs crashing or whatever, loosing their root partition, ...
I assume disc creation slow down my HD, and others VM might have troubles
accessing their own...

> Samuel Mart=EDn Moro wrote:
> > I could have finished already if I just had installed a Linux host in t=
he
> > first place [...] Is there some hope sticking with BSD? [...] I'm
> > seriously thinking on dropping that BSD idea, and choosing some random
> > linux to make it work...
>
> You should use the OS you're most comfortable with... or be prepared to
> make
> some efforts! At least if you want people to help you...

I never had to virtualize with FreeBSD as host.
But I'm quite comfortable using it.
The thing is, my colleague, a former-linux-sysadmin, and my boss are
breaking my
balls with their linux. IMHO it would be better to use FreeBSD, because we
generate
FreeBSDs, and we may (will) want to try our stuff outside the VM (thinking
about a
ifconfig-like tool, that we had to patch in order to make it work with VMs)
So, I'ld be really disapointed if, finally, I'd have to install a linux on
that server...

> Regards,

Thanks!