Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 02:44:23 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Jasper O'Malley <jooji@nickelkid.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with www/p5-CGI

On Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 11:35:41AM -0400, Jasper O'Malley wrote:

> I'm thinking that there should be two p5-CGI ports. Version 2.76
> eliminates CGI.pm is *not* a drop-in replacement for version 2.752 and
> below, as it requires rewrites of all scripts dependent on CGI.pm.

I do not know why you think that p5-CGI ever contained CGI.pm...  It did
not.  However...

At some point in the past, there used to be a real CGI.pm port:

Name:	www/p5-CGI.pm
Added:	97/04/28
Nuked:	1997/05/25

As you see, it got nuked when CGI.pm became a part of the standard Perl
distribution, somewhere around 5.005_04 time.

Now, in light of the planned decoupling in FreeBSD of some of the Perl
modules included in the distribution from the distribution itself,
CGI.pm port resurrection seem to be a good idea.

Personally I think that the current www/CGI should be renamed to
www/CGI-modules, to avoid the confusion.  The actual CGI.pm may then
become www/CGI, or www/CGI.pm.

Cheers,
+Anton.
--