Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2012 15:13:28 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Rees <crees@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] UNIQUENAME patches

--------------enigC4FBBC38A2AE410A7EF15968

On 16/06/2012 14:18, Chris Rees wrote:
> That's great-- though rather than patching colliding-only ports, can't
> we just add the category to it?
>=20
> .for cat in ${CATEGORIES}
> UNIQUEPREFIX?=3D ${cat}
> .endfor
>=20
> (copying the code from PKGCATEGORY; might be better off moving the
> PKGCATEGORY code up higher and just using that).

Yes.  I thought long and hard about doing that, but I opted not to for
two reasons:

   1) Using the port name + a uniqueprefix where necessary produces what
      is close to the minimal change required to give every port a
      unique name.  The UNIQUENAME won't actually change for quite a
      lot of ports under my scheme.

   2) As a way of future-proofing against reorganizations of the ports
      tree.  What tends to happen is that a new category is invented
      and a number of ports are moved into it.  My way should avoid
      changing the UNIQUENAME in the majority of cases.

Remember that changing the UNIQUENAME changes where the record of the
port options are stored, and either we annoy a lot of users by making
them fill in a buch of dialogues all over again, or we have to invent
some complicated mechanism copy the old options settings to the new
directory.  (Yes -- this sort of thing will occur with the changes as
written.  It can't be avoided entirely.)

Plus I think it would be more natural and easier for maintainers and
end-users to talk about (say) "phpmyadmin" rather than
"databases-phpmyadmin."

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20