Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 23:47:48 +0200
From:      Michael Dexter <dexter@ambidexter.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Yet Another make release fails on ghostscript-gnu

Greetings from Latvia,

I am very, very excited about FreeBSD's "make release" ability but
like many others I have read about on the various list archives, I my
builds are hanging on trivial failures. In this case, the
eplaser-3.0.4-651.tgz file is failing its checksum, bringing the
build to a halt. I have followed the advice of adding
"NO_CHECKSUM=yes" to no avail. I have tried it both after "make" and
at the end of my string of variables. Which reads:

make release CHROOTDIR=/usr/testrelease BUILDNAME=4.7-RELEASE CVSROOT=/usr/ncvs
RELEASETAG=RELENG_4_7_0_RELEASE NOPORTS=yes NOPORTREADMES=yes NODOCS=yes
TARGET_ARCH=i386 TARGET=i386

(/usr/ncvs is my  choice, NO_CHECKSUMS=yes has again gone either
after "make" or at the end)

I have also:

1. Downloaded the same file from other /usr/ports/distfiles
directories. Though different sizes, they also fail the check.

2. Tried to fetch new versions from /usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gnu/
and place them in either /usr/ports/distfiles and
/usr/ports/ghostscript/ AND /usr/ports/ghostscript-gnu/

3. Not tried DOMINIMALDOCPORTS as this would seem to go through the
minimum files I am already having trouble with.

Observations:

1. "NO_CHECKSUM" does not appear to be in any of the Makefiles in
/usr/src/release/ or /usr/src/
               Where is this check being called? Is there any other
way to override it? Does it really exist?

2. The only vague reference to the file I need is in
/usr/src/release/Makefile.inc.docports and reportedly the "ports".
"man ports" reveals the elusive "NO_CHECKSUMS" option! I see
/usr/src/release/Makefile, doc and scripts but alas my "make" is not
fluent enough to understand who is calling what and when. I would
hope I do not need to feed "NO_CHECKSUMS" into evey invocation of
make.

3. NOPORTSATALL=yes seems to be like an unavailable option, given
that there will always be minimum documentation, which appear to need
ports.

4. Others in need have pointed out that a build-friendly "distfiles"
tar ball would ease this process. Does such a thing exist? Could I
strip/re-create it from the official 4.7 release?

Note that I have brought my sys, ncvs and ports source trees up to
date. Because things are downloaded, I don't see how a fresh, raw,
official 4.7 install would help what seems to be the checksum of a
single downloaded port that I understand is downloaded on demand.

THIS bothers me: make checksum inside of
/usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gnu PASSES ALL CHECKSUM TESTS, including
eplaser-3.0.4-651.tgz

Why would this fail during make release?

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Michael.