Date:      Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:41:12 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Willem Jan Withagen <wjw@withagen.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building a mirror in a partition

--00sTfE/IIAT5d2r5

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 03:00:18PM +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
+> >Yes. It is because gstripe store metadata in the last provider's sector
+> >and if two providers ends in the same place - you have a problem.
+> >In that case, you should create you stripe by adding '-h' option, which
+> >will add provider's name to metadata, so only this provider will be
+> >connected to your stripe.
+> >=20
+> >
+> the -h was my friend.....
+> I do not really understand why it was trying to use the whole slice for=
=20
+> mirroring?? But that might be my ignorance.

Because those two providers share the same last sector, so they share
the same metadata and there is no information by default, which provider
is the right one (you should add '-h' option).
IMHO this is a better behaviour, because you can move your disk, copy it
to another disk via dd(1), etc. and it will be still recognized by gmirror.

--=20
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl

--00sTfE/IIAT5d2r5