Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 1997 09:38:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: make world time???/

On Sun, 16 Nov 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I do a make world in about 75 minutes -- I just didn't do profiled
> > libraries.
>
> Argh.  If we're going to compare worldstone numbers, we've really
> got to converge on some standard for what consititutes a proper
> one. ;-)  In my own benchmarks, I always do a completely "standard"
> build with only one exception, which is to add CFLAGS=-O -pipe
> to /etc/make.conf (oh yeah, /usr also mounted async).  Other
> folks stripe /usr/obj or mount it noatime or do any number
> of other things (like NOPROFILE) which can only skew the numbers
> when comparing them.  Maybe the first step would be to agree
> upon a script for launching the world build which sets various
> environment variables consistently?  Then we'd at least be
> down to just the I/O trickieries as variants.

Also Jordan, remember that some people are over-clocking their systems (I'm
one of them).  I believe one of the keys to over-clocking is to use a
faster bus speed (ie, 75 or 83 MHz instead of 66 MHz) which would also
skew the numbers from those that are not over-clocking.

Since I'm the person who started this thread a couple of days/weeks ago
with a simple question on why my system does 'make world' slower than the
rest of the FBSD community with similar hardware, I would support a test
like this.  Even though I have been using FBSD for over 1 year as my
primary OS, I still consider myself a 'Unix Novice' and therefore would
benefit from the discussion a test like this would generate on this
mailing list.

As another thought, if we could all agree on the associated terms of this
test, maybe someone could volunteer to write a new section for the
handbook on how to fine-tune your system for optimal performance (depending
on the purpose of your FBSD box).  Although it sounds like most of the
people participating in this discussion already know what they are doing,
some newbies (like me) could greatly benefit from this.  Unfortunately,
due to time constraints with school (I'm full-time at CSUH), I can not
volunteer for this task.

- - burton -

Burton Sampley
bsampley@best.com or bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu