Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 2009 16:00:20 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, Dmitry <dchagin@freebsd.org>, Chagin
Subject:   Re: skype after f7->f8: problem with cyrillic characters in nicks

Quoting Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua> (from Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:14:53 +0300):

> on 16/06/2009 00:00 Boris Samorodov said the following:
>> Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua> writes:

>>> Dmitry,
>>>
>>> thank you, but:
>>> $ fgrep -c cache /var/db/pkg/linux-f8-fontconfig-2.4.2_1/+CONTENTS
>>>

>>> Does linux fc-cache come with some other port?
>>
>> Take a look at the port's Makefile. This file is removed at post-patch
>> stage.
>
> There seems to be some contradiction.
> Your post in the link says that this program is needed to do/fix something.
> The Makefile says that this program is never needed and can be dangerous.
> Of course, I am able to extract and run the program, it's no problem for me.
> But I think that the contradiction needs to be cleared for the
> benefit of other users.

Technical info:
The problem you are seeing is probably because there are
incompatibilities in the font cache files (which are created by
fc-cache) between the FreeBSD native libfreetype and the linux
libfreetype. The fonts which both are trying to access are the FreeBSD
ones (we do not install them a second time for the linuxulator, we use
the ones which are already there in FreeBSD).

If you run the linux fc-cache, you may cause problems for the FreeBSD
native libfreetype. This is the reason why the Makefile says what it
says.

What we need is a libfreetype for FreeBSD and for the linuxulator,
which shares the same font cache format. The older the linux base
port, the less the probability to find a suitable libfreetype for this
linux base.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Everyone's in a high place when you're on your knees.