Date:      Mon, 5 Sep 2022 15:21:09 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: kernel update broke -current

Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote on
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2022 20:07:33 UTC :

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2022 at 4:51 PM void <void@f-m.fm> wrote:
>=20

> > >I was thinking - getting latest -current image, booting to it then
> > >copying the contents of /boot from the image onto the mounted zpool =
> > >
> > >feasible?
> >
> > Seems only EFI/ needed replacing from a recent snapshot. I thought =
it might
> > be all of /boot but I was wrong. Thank you Mark!
> >
>=20
> Yes. You'll need to update EFI/BOOT on your ESP. The rest of /boot is
> updated
> when you do an installworld.

One of the oddities of the update sequence instructions is
the lack of coverage of the likes of:

Load Path: /efi\boot\bootaa64.efi

What step of the sequencing for the overall system update?
When is such an update required? (Here the example would
be: Before rebooting when the ZFS pool(s) possibly used to
boot gain new features?) When is it not required to update
the loader in the ESP (or analogous)? Even just knowing
the stage at which one should do the update indicates some
about when to figure out if an update is needed and so
prompts to be ready.

Part of the sequencing gets into having needed to do a
installworld to have a from-same-build content replacement
for the likes of /efi\boot\bootaa64.efi . So installkernel
already done, a reboot already done, and an installworld
having been done as well in order to have something to
copy over. (There are no pointers to alternate places to
get copies that I know of. One can find copies in the
build tree when one builds from source locally. So waiting
is not really required for that context.)

This also make it seem that updating ZFS pool features
should wait until after a system upgrade that spans both
the loader and kernel being ready for the new features,
even if compatibility with other systems is not a worry.

Do any of the system upgrade instructions cover such
relationships? Do any of the ZFS pool upgrade instructions
cover such? Does zpool or the like suggest such issues
when it reports there are new features that could be
enabled?

Part of what I expect happened here was contributed to by
a lack of being prompted to even think about the relevant
issues, leading to a pool feature upgrade that had not
been prepared for.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com