Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 1998 17:12:41 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading

At 06:23 AM 7/23/98 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:

>Personally I don't see any need to upgrade if 2.2.6 is working fine as
>it is. I tend to be one of those people who sit back and wait for the
>screams of pain to die down before deciding if there is any real
>incentive to upgrade, and 2.2.6 is pretty solid. I might keep upgrading
>a few individual packages, but that's no sweat.

I see some reasons, although not a great deal:

(1) If running as a server, some security holes have been closed.  That's
ALWAYS important, to some more than others.

(2) If long filenames are important to you on a VFAT/Win95 FAT32 partition,
that's a good enough reason IMO.  This is actually the main reason why
*I'M* upgrading.  This is a feature I've wanted for quite awhile now.

(3) Packages.  Many, many packages have been upgraded and added since
2.2.6.  If Sysinstall allows access to them, it's much easier that way,
since dependencies are taken care of automatically (you can download them
manually, but how do you know what a certain package might require in the
way of dependencies?  That can be a very time-consuming way to download
packages... pkg_add... go back get dependencies... THOSE dependencies have
dependencies, etc).  Sysinstall makes it MUCH easier.

Other than those, I don't see a lot of reasons, other than that it's fun to
have a new and potentially slightly more powerful/faster release of FreeBSD
on your system, at least for me :-)  Also, some changes in 3.0 have been
implemented, so upgrading now will allow for a more gradual transition to
3.0 (which is going to be a major upgrade with a lot of config filename
changes in /etc, for example)

>Maybe it's too many years of using other operating systems that's made
>me so slow and cynical. Sure, it was nice to get rid of 2.1.5 but now
>even 2.2.2 still serves most of my needs :-)

No, you're very justified in not seeing many reasons to upgrade.  2.2.6 to
2.2.7 is a fairly minor upgrade, and a fairly long download if getting it
via that method (and messing with a solid, working system is ALWAYS a pain,
one way or another).  Now, if you say the same thing come the 3.0 release
in October, I WILL call you slow and cynical <g>, as there will be *MANY*
changes in that release (some of the RELNOTES on current.freebsd.org just
blew me away entirely.  It's almost going to look like a brand new OS with
3.0!  *TONS* of additions, bug fixes and enhancements, most of them really
cool and important from my point of view.

Tim

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.